5 fantastic fruity facts!
Fruits are an important part of your daily food intake for lots of reasons. Here are some fun fruit facts you probably didn’t know!
- Apples give you more energy than coffee. Due to their perfect combination of carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, they are the perfect food for a mid-afternoon energy boost.
- Watermelons can keep you hydrated. They have thick skin and are 92 per cent water, making them the perfect food for picnics or for after exercise.
- The skin is the best bit! In many fruits, such as cucumbers and apples, the skin is packed with extra nutrients including fibre – so don’t peel!
- Bananas are a natural antacid – scientists are unsure why this is though. In addition, they can help with diarrhoea, as they contain pectin, a soluble fibre that absorbs fluid in the gut.
- Kiwi fruits contain twice as much vitamin C as oranges.